Updated: Jan 1, 2020
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil Scientific Name: Melaleuca alternifolia Origin: Australia Scent Profile: Strong, medicinal, herbal, fresh The Australian Aboriginals were the first to use tea tree for its healing properties. They used it to treat a myriad of skin conditions including treating wounds, respiratory conditions and skin ailments among others. It has disinfecting, astringent, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
2. Lavender Essential Oil Scientific Name: Lavandula angustifolia Origin: Africa, Europe, Asia Scent Profile: Sweet, clean, floral, fresh The most versatile essential oil on the planet, lavender essential oil provides skin soothing properties for inflamed and painful cystic acne. Lavender essential oil also has amazing skin cleansing properties. The name ‘lavender’ itself comes from the ancient Latin word lavare which means ‘to wash’. It helps to dissolve dead cells, stale sebum, dirt, grime and pollution from deep within the pores and drive them out.
3. Frankincense Essential Oil Scientific Name: Boswellia carteri Origin: Somalia, Oman, Middle East Scent Profile: Earthy, Balsamic Scent Though particularly effective for aging and mature skin types, frankincense is also a powerful essential oil. Its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties are very useful. It can be applied ‘neat’ onto the skin without diluting with a carrier oil. Simply place a drop on your clean finger and gently dab on problem areas.
4. Lemon Essential Oil Scientific Name: Citrus limon Origin: US, Argentina Scent Profile: Fresh, citrusy Young Living lemon essential oil is cold pressed from fresh lemon peels of lemons grown in Argentina and United States. Its powerful antibacterial properties destroy bacteria and germs while its cooling and refreshing properties calm inflammation, pain and redness. Lemon essential oil is also rich in citric acid that is a natural bleaching agent that may help fade away scars!
5. Sweet Basil Essential Oil Scientific Name: Ocicum Bacilicum Origin: Tropical Asia & Pacific Islands Scent Profile: Strong, spicy and peppery According to a document published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Sciences, holy basil and sweet basil essential oils have been found to be effective against acne. With its strong antibacterial and antiseptic properties, it doesn’t come as a surprise! Sweet basil essential oil also has astringent properties that fight oily skin.
6. Geranium Essential Oil Scientific Name: Pelargonium graveolens Origin: Africa Scent Profile: Flowery, uplifting aroma Geranium essential oil is one of the best young living essential oils for acne and skin care in general. It has powerful antioxidant, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties.
7. Clary Sage Essential Oil Scientific Name: Salvia sclarea Origin: South Europe Scent Profile: Herbal, earthy aroma with a slight hint of fruitiness. Helpful with relaxing the mind and balancing moods. It balances and regulates the skin’s natural oils, while its bactericide properties fend off germs.
8. Oregano Essential Oil Scientific Name: Origanum vulgare Origin: Eurasian and Mediterranean regions Scent Profile: Strong, slightly minty, camphor-like scent A powerful fungicide, oregano essential oil also has bactericide properties that make it effective. It is a strong disinfectant due to its high amount of phenols, organic compounds known for their disinfectant properties. Caution: Oregano essential oil is very potent so always ensure to first dilute it in a carrier oil or base cream/ingredient before use. (Use 1-3 drops of essential oil in 1 tbsp of base ingredient.)
9. Roman Chamomile Essential Oil Scientific Name: Chamaemelum nobile Origin: Europe & parts of Africa Scent Profile: Sweet, calming, apple-like scent Chamomile essential oil is known for its soothing and calming properties that help relax the mind, body and soul. It may be a great soother and has potent antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-itch, skin soothing and moisturizing properties. 10. Rose Essential Oil Scientific Name: Rose damascena Origin: Persia Scent Profile: Sweet, feminine, floral, fresh, rosy, romantic Popularly known for its luxurious skin rejuvenating properties, rose is one of the most useful Young Living essential oils. It contains antioxidant, antiseptic, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties.